Tuesday, November 29, 2005

How You Eating Your Bacon?

Holy Frijoles! On a tostada, Amigo!

1. First of all, get yourself a nice slab of the good stuff. I like the way Trader Joe's packages their bacon: Check it out: It's in a big chunk - not spread out like a pack of cards being delat by am amateur magician... this is Uncured Applewood Smoked by the way. Get some smallish corn tortillas. The ones I buy are made with lime. Not the limes that grow on trees, but the mineral. I'm not sure why this is. My wife tried to explain it to me, but she lost me. It might have something to do with the fact that corn has to be treated in some way in order for it to release its nutrition. Apparently that's why the Injuns (who called it Maize) would do this, but when the English tried to take corn back to England they all died of malnutrition.

Or maybe I dreamed that.

I also dream I'm back in school a lot...

Anyway, the corn tortillas smell a little like ammonia from the lime. I used to buy a pack, think they were all poisoned, then throw them away. Now I'm pretty sure they aren't poison, but I sniff them constantly b/c of the lime/ammonia smell.

...oh yeah. Cook some eggs. I made these scrambled, but usually I like them over medium. I've ggot some colby-jack on these, over a layer of refried black beans. Get the ones with jalapenos in them you pussy. Come on, you can barely taste them.
Put 'em in the toaster oven. I cut the slices of bacon in half so they're easier to manage. Plus they fit on these little corn ammonia disc thingies. Then I put the bacon on the tostadas and keep them warm in the oven, while the eggs are finishing up.

It goees without saying that you cook the eggs in the bacon grease.
Now these are good as is. Not much else needed. But for a Full Mexican Breakfast put those eggs on top, and then cover em with some roasted garlic salsa. Don't let the salsa be too cold. Use a lot of pepper. Not a lot of salt. Use some garlic powder in the eggs before cooking, and a bit of milk to keep em fluffy.

1 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

Dude, I'm so there!

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home