Saturday, June 17, 2006

How You Eating Your Bacon?

Bacon Carnitas Chilequillas!I really built up to this one. After eating a chicken breast sandwich with bacon for lunch yesterday (Not to be confused with the BREADED chicken cutlet in Noo York City), I didn't eat anything else that day. I came home and ate 2 handfulls of candy, a bowl of blueberries and raspberries, and 3 bottles of Henry Weinhard's while watching Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War - which is an excellent film except for the 10 year old kid screaming at evertything for 2 solid hours.

So around noon today I realized I had gone about 24 hours without food and decided to pull out all the stops. I've been gnawing on a one pound hunk of Trader Joe's carnitas
for a few days now, usually mixed with refried black beans and scoops of Zankou garlic paste.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of ingredients mixed together... Too alchemical for my tastes. I like individual foods, which explains my long-loved recipe for "Bowl of Bacon" (Put ten slices of bacon in a bowl. Serves one.) But I felt ambitious today. I carved off a good 2 ounces of carnitas from the brick, and though already cooked, fried it up in some olive oil. Then I mixed three eggs, milk, spiced mozzarella, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a couple handfuls of guacamole tortilla chips (thus the green triangles). Poured that mixture on top of the carnitas in the pan and then zapped up three slices of hickory smoked bacon. I dared not mix the bacon into the concoction; it's just not fair to bacon's specific taste and texture.

Possible errors: More garlic. More carnitas. Possibly a big scoop of refried black beans on the side. Better quality bacon.

2 Comments:

Blogger lucky doubles roller said...

what are carnitas?

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you wanna come over to our house, mark? are you okay?

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home