Friday, July 14, 2006

My new favorite hobo

Everytime I go home late the same hobo is performing on the subway platform and he's fantastic. I know what you're going to say, "yeah, I used to see this awesome Jamaican hobo who played a mean steel drum", or "I used to work for a record label that exclusively featured blues-playing hobos". THis guy sets himself apart from the crowd by having absolutely no skills whatsoever. Let me set the scene for you. He's somewhat elderly, perhaps 65, close cropped grey hair. Always wears a not-to-shabby, but slightly overzised white t-shirt and jeans inexplicably rolled up to mid-calf. Instument of choice: the harmonica. Basically he hold the harmonic up to his mouth and breathes in and out of it while doing sort of a sideways shimmy with his feet. No attempt is made to play different notes or even pretend like he knows what he is doing. Just in-out in-out, shimmy-shimmy shimmy shimmy. He plays constantly. I have never seen him stop, and sometimes at that hour I have to wait about 15 minutes for a train. I have also never seen anyone give him any money.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr Lucky Doubles said...

I'll sign him to a 3 album deal!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compared to some of the *crap* out there, this hobo just may make a few million!

7:40 AM  
Blogger faculty for workplace justice said...

givc him some money, lucky!

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home